1. People & Relationships
Cathy Meyer

Five Ways to Get a Divorce

By March 3, 2008

From:Laurie Puhn
First Wives World

Think hiring an attorney is the only way to get divorced? Think again. There are 5 ways to get divorced, from economical to most expensive. Which one is right for you?

Do-It-Yourself Divorce: You and your spouse have resolved all financial, tax and parenting issues. You have the time to read through lengthy instructions, draft the paperwork and file papers in court. Most states or bar associations sell handbooks (often called a "Friendly Divorce Handbook") on how to manage your own divorce and fill out the paperwork. You can also search on-line for your state's website on uncontested divorces for a brief version of the information.

Cost: $200 - $500 for filing fees.

Speed: Takes a couple weeks to do the paperwork and obtain notarized signatures, but you'll still have to wait for a final divorce order from the court, which could take 2 weeks to 6 months, depending on the court.

On-line Do-It-Yourself Divorce: This is similar to the Do-It-Yourself Divorce, except that you don't have to obtain the blank court documents. Instead, the on-line software program asks you questions, you type in your answers and the program will fill out the paperwork for you. Then you print out the final documents, get them notarized and file them in court.

Cost: $400-$1000 (includes the on-line program and filing fees).

Speed: Slightly faster than the typical Do-It-Yourself Divorce because the on-line program simplifies the paperwork.

Mediated Divorce: If you and your spouse have not resolved on all financial, tax and parenting issues, but you are able to sit down in the same room together, then a neutral mediator who guides you both through the issues might be right for you. The goal of mediation is to help you reach a settlement without going to court. Not all mediators are attorneys. If he/she is also an attorney, then the mediator-attorney will prepare the legal documents and file them in court for you. Mediation is voluntary, but becomes binding when a signed agreement is reached, and either party can...read more

Comments
October 1, 2008 at 1:04 pm
(1) Shawn says:

I’m finding out that getting married is a lot easier than getting a divorce. I have been married for 3 years with 2 beautiful children. I truly love my wife but we know we just cannot be with each other til the end of time. Unfortunately, we didn’t realize this until we got married. Reading this post reminded me that doing it myself would be the best route for us. Some people are afraid of doing something like a divorce by themselves but believe me, it definitely saves you a lot (time, money, energy etc..) Keep an open mind, you’ll be surprised!

Shawn

October 13, 2008 at 11:53 am
(2) Michelle says:

Thanks guys! See you both make it sound so very easy. I will be talking with my husband about this because we are not happy to say the least in our marriage. It started with adultery on his part so without trying to play the blame game, Iíd rather finalize it. Thanks for the info.

October 13, 2008 at 11:54 am
(3) Bo says:

Yea it is scary to think about letting everything you worked so hard for go down the drain. My wife and I are in the middle of finalizing our divorce through this do it yourself company. (divorce4her) Itís definately worth checking out because we are so close to finalizing this mess we canít believe it. Just do your research if you donít do anything.

April 14, 2009 at 6:40 pm
(4) Liz says:

I have been legally married for 11 years but I am no longer with my husband.We have been seperated for 9years. We have 2 beautiful kids together but he went to jail for 4 years for spousal abuse. When he got out of jail he went to Mexico and got married with some other woman. But he doesn’t want to give me the divorce here in California. I am getting ready to buy my house but I want to get a divorce first because knowing him, he might want 1/2 of everything I’ve worked hard for. He has never helped me financially but he told me that if I file for divorce he would take my little girls away from me.Can he do that?…The last time my kids saw him they were still in diapers. Now they are 11 and 13yrs. old….Any advise?

August 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm
(5) Roseanne says:

Yes, but doing it yourself can be hard when you dont have your own money and you and your spouse share a bank account, and when your spouse doesn’t want the divorce.

March 20, 2011 at 5:18 pm
(6) willi willi says:

all i want is to be relaxed with ou her, she could take everything and leave me with nothing, but I’ll be with out here…(thats all i want)

November 26, 2011 at 2:18 am
(7) Maria says:

I’ve been married for 8 years and separated for 1 year and im seriously thinking of doing the divorce myself. I realize that i will have to do alot of footwork i my part,because i cant afford a lawyer. We have one child together no homes just some credit together. Its painfulbl.but i have no other choice.

December 8, 2011 at 11:16 pm
(8) Errika says:

My husband and I have been serparted for 3 years he don’t know where I live, I dont know he where live. The problem is my now boyfriend is pressuring me to get a divorce.Im also pregnant with my boyfriend baby…Is the do it yourself the best way? Do I need to know his address?

October 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm
(9) Jason says:

I’ve had a full 5, uneventful years of marriage. The only bills accrued, together, would be hospital bills. We have a daughter, one year old. I plan to support my daughter by all means, although she will probably be staying with her mom, because she has forgotten me (long story). Is there a way I can just get out of marriage, pay my own bills and support my daughter without a court monitoring every bit of money I make? It was money that tore us apart,I don’t want to put up with losing my money to her, even after divorce.

October 16, 2012 at 8:07 pm
(10) bri says:

Married life dragssssss

November 29, 2012 at 8:35 pm
(11) lyn says:

I’m marriage for almost 5 years but we been together for 6 years over.our marriage is no good very unhappy and uncomfortable.before,i was confused how to get a divorce but after i read this article my hope is back.thanks to all.

April 12, 2014 at 12:20 am
(12) snapchat for Pc says:

‘Runtastic Heart Rate Monitor & Pulse Tracker Pro’ requires
i – OS 6. Expenses, projects and time spent with clients is tracked and documented.
Using travel apps, one can easily access information such as
the restaurants and markets in the vicinity, budgeted accommodations, subway maps,
and also emergency contact details.