If you remarry someone with children, you of course want the transition into the new relationship and marriage to be easy. Below are a few tips to help you transition into a blended family. Read them and commit yourself to using them in your new blended family.
For The Biological Parent:
- Create family structure.
- Establish clear boundaries and consequences to crossing those boundaries.
- Allow your children to have some control and give input regarding those boundaries.
- Be a positive role model to your children.
- Don’t stifle your children. Allow them to express their feelings and concerns over the newly blended family.
- Make sure you have alone time with your spouse.
- Plan activities that the family as a whole can participate in.
For the Stepparent:
- Focus on positive the positive aspects of each child’s personality. Only focusing on the negative breeds contempt and there is no room in the step-parent relationship for contempt.
- Support the biological parent when it comes to discipline.
- Act as a guide or friend to your step-child. Do not try to become his/her parent.
- Be prepared for it to take time for your stepchild to bond with you.
- Never use unkind words, only positive communication and affirmations are acceptable.
- Don’t get discouraged. Don’t expect an instant bond and try to learn the virtue of patience.